Teeth Cleaning Specialist Q&A
Dental cleaning is a vital part of proper oral hygiene. It is a preventative procedure in which the dentist removes tartar and plaque from the surfaces of the teeth. If you are looking for a place where you can have your teeth cleaned, then visit Smile Dental in Stafford, TX today and get your confident smile back. We are conveniently located at 738 FM 1092 Rd, Stafford, TX 77477. For more information, call us or schedule an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
Having clean teeth allows us to truly enjoy our oral health and sets us up for good dental health in the long-term. While brushing and flossing daily are fundamental to achieving this goal, regular teeth cleanings at the dentist are also paramount to maintaining good oral hygiene. These dental cleanings, often referred to as prophylaxis, help people perform a more thorough cleaning of their teeth.
Teeth cleanings are important for many reasons; brushing and flossing often miss certain areas that can accumulate plaque and lead to the development of dental caries. It is also important because:
• It can remove most of the stains that dull and discolor teeth, leaving patients with a whiter, more radiant smile.
• It can prevent gum disease, which leads to several oral health issues, including early tooth loss.
• Routine cleanings can also detect certain types of oral cancer early on, and when treated right away, can be very curable.
• There is a strong connection between cardiovascular disease and gum disease, so getting teeth cleaned twice a year not only helps prevent gum disease, but it can also reduce the chances of possibly fatal heart attacks and strokes.
• During a professional dental cleaning, dentists can detect early signs and symptoms of dental problems such as fractures and broken fillings.
• Regular dental cleanings also serve as preventative care, which help to avoid expensive dental treatments in the future.
• If a dentist finds any serious problems during a teeth cleaning or exam, they can help create a treatment plan that appropriately addresses all of these concerns.
There are several types of teeth cleaning:
• Prophylaxis/Regular Dental Cleaning — One of the most valuable aspects of preventative dentistry is regular dental cleanings, which help to address various diseases such as tooth decay, gingivitis, or periodontal disease early on, improving treatment outcomes.
• Scaling and Root Planning — This type of dental cleaning involves smoothing rough spots on the roots of the teeth that can trap and hold bacteria, leading to gum disease. While typically only a quarter or half of the mouth is done during one appointment, the whole procedure may be done in a single visit.
• Periodontal Maintenance Cleaning — Often referred to as a dental deep cleaning, periodontal maintenance cleanings are specifically performed on patients with periodontitis, a serious gum disease.
The frequency at which someone should get their teeth cleaned is unique to each patient and depends on several factors, including:
• Oral hygiene routine
• Presence of oral diseases
• Age of the patient
• Lifestyle factors, such as smoking
Based on the aforementioned factors, it is recommended for patients to receive a cleaning at least once a year, although this may be more frequent depending on if the patient smokes or if they have other oral health concerns.
The average cost of a teeth cleaning depends on the age of the patient and the type of cleaning needed. In most cases, without insurance, a dental cleaning costs around $75 to $400. More involved cleanings are used to address more advanced oral health problems and can increase this amount significantly. With good oral hygiene, the cost of teeth cleanings is typically lower, which also leads to lower dental costs in general.
If you are in need of teeth cleaning, come to Smile Dental today for treatment you can trust. Our dental professionals commonly perform teeth cleanings and can help you stay on top of your oral health with these preventative services. Call us today to book an appointment with our teeth cleaning specialists, or visit our clinic in Stafford, Texas today! We serve patients from Stafford TX, Meadows Place TX, Missouri City TX, Sugar Land TX, Fifth Street TX, Dewalt TX, and Trammels TX. We look forward to serving you!